Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bone Cancer Group talk October 22

This last Friday I was part of something very special. Last year, I was asked if I would talk to the Bone Cancer Dog group annual reunion. The group is composed of dog owners who lost their dog to bone cancer or pet owners interested to hear about it. They give information about bone cancer- (treatment, how to deal with amputations, etc, etc), and function as a support group. When I put my talk together, in concert with Nicole, we settled on holistic OSA-osteosarcoma- prevention and holistic pain management. Little did I know how big this group was. It was an experience well worth being part of.

When I got to the meeting place, well ahead of schedule, I met some of the members and got to know more about the Bone Cancer Group (www.bonecancerdogs.org). When I asked one person where they came from, I was surprised to see how far some were from. Not only they came from all over the US, but one person flew from Canada. For the last 6 years the group has been getting together once a year to meet, pay tribute to the loved ones they lost to bone cancer, do a memorial (so touching, each owner had a rock with a paw print and their name on it) and hear about what can be done for this raging and devastating disease. Even more impressive was when I talked to Ana Cilursu. She is an MD and is making sure people are helped in the best of way, making sure the information is the most scientifically accurate and helpful. So much information is out there, internet and all, and takes advantage of people in a dire situation promising cures. As usual I will tell you that if it sounds too good to be true, run away. OSA requires a multidisciplinary approach, and not one thing will take care of it.

When I was done with my talk I was delighted to answer people’s questions and hear about how they’ve been dealing with their situation. I was touched when Nicole presented me with a gift bag for the talk I gave them. One of the items in the bag was a book written by one of their member, Doug Koktavy: “The legacy of Beezer and Boomer” Lessons on Living and Dying from my canine brothers. In a world that might underestimate how attached we become to our pets, this book is welcomed. I already started to read it. A lot exists on how to deal with our beloved pets when they’ve passed away, but Doug felt that nothing was written about how to prepare you with the inevitable. He hopes this will be helpful to other owners.

Can I ask a question?

No comments:

Post a Comment